Tuesday 1 November 2016

October Horror Movie Challenge 2016 – Round Up

Well, time to take out the pumpkins, mop up the blood & entrails, and perform the yearly exorcism, another Halloween has been and gone.  Which also means my yearly Horror Movie Challenge is over too, and once again it has been a success.  This year I once again improved upon the previous, by two films this time for a total of forty four movies!  It should be noted that I did see other, non-horror stuff this month too, but doing this many has made me wonder how the hell the guys that go for 100 movies do it.  Have they not friends, family, lives?  Perhaps not, but there are still only so many hours in the day, and gore movies one can take in a single sitting.  I already plan to go through some nicer, happier things from my DVD pile over the next week to get out of the mindset, like Moomins on the Riviera.  But before I do though, let’s have on here both a final call for donations to Crisis, and a post mortem of the experience.





First things first; here’s a list of all the films I covered this year.  For more on them, have a look at my Tumblr or Instagram accounts.  Unless I specifically noted, these were films I was seeing for the first time, on disc.

2. The Gatehouse (Cinema)
12. Chaw
17. Shiver
30. Botched
31. Kolobos
37: The Bat
39. Ouija

Seriously, that’s quite a selection.  I should mention that the past month for me seems to have gone by really slowly, and I put that down to me just having a tonne of new memories to process from all this.  Now, let’s have a few special awards for the films I saw.

Best New Release/Preview Film
Now this is a tough one, there have been a few particularly strong cinema releases this year.  For example, Train to Busan was a Korean title that didn’t reinvent the zombie genre, but gave it the shot in the arm it needed, with a lot of style, playing with the rules a bit, and for doing what World War Z failed to do and make a proper blockbuster out of the undead.  But there has also been the BFI London Film Festival, the “Cult” strand in particular has been a source of a huge number of pretty impressive titles.  Into the Forest, A Dark Song, Prevenge, and many more are very strong titles that I am greatly looking forward to pushing people to try when they get official release in the near future.  But of all of the ones I saw there, my pick for the top new horror film of the batch is going to be this “Cult” strand’s gala film, The Autopsy of Jane Doe.  A highly original concept, superb cast and crew, and for managing to take a story set around an autopsy, shown in unflinching detail, and yet avoid being just a gore-fest, this greatly impressed me, and I reckon this is going to be the next “break out” horror hit.



Best Discovery
It’s not just been new stuff of course, I’ve also seen plenty of older titles for the first time too, but I have to say, this has been a lot more variable in quality.  There are a few films I’ve seen that I’ve really enjoyed for the sheer weirdness or “so bad it’s good” factor, such as Holocaust 2000 and The Carrier (more on that one in a moment).  However, in terms of pure quality, my winner for the best pre-2015 film I watched for the first time is the second oldest film I saw (but only by a year), The Cat & the Canary.  This was the first film by director Paul Leni I’ve ever seen, and what a talent he was, bringing a lot of the German Expressionist movement to Hollywood, it must have been a big influence on a lot of the later Universal Horrors.  It’s sad that he passed away before that movement began in earnest, who knows what he would have done in the sound era.  Incidentally, I have discs for two of the remakes of this film (the Bob Hope one and the 70s one), it will be interesting to see how they stack up to the original (spoiler: probably not well).

Best Rewatch
There were a few old favourites I went back to over the season, but they all had some new twist to them.  For the last film, Ghostwatch, it was so I could take part in The National Séance online event, rewatching it on the anniversary, at the exact time of the original broadcast.  It still chilled me, even though I was paying attention to the #NS16 Twitter feed all the way through.  Halloween was with an introduction by Dr. Mark Kermode, just after one of his “Live in 3D” shows at the BFI, and it was my first time seeing it on the big screen.  As the BFI is having a John Carpenter season at the moment, I figured I should see at least one thing there.  Likewise, I can now confirm that Phantom of the Paradise also works well properly projected, thanks to Mr. Edgar Wright, who also provided an excellent introduction in person, along with Swan himself Paul Williams sending us a little video wishing us well too.  But my nod for best rewatch has to go to Phantasm, as this was the UK first showing of the new Remastered edition J.J. Abrams helped produce, and it looked & sounded gorgeous.  As a bonus, creator Don Coscarelli was on hand for a fine Q&A, he is the loveliest guy in the world!  Of course, the showing was with a note of melancholy, as it had to be dedicated to The Tall Man himself, the now sadly departed Angus Scrimm.  Given the number of people seeing it for the first time that night though, I’d say he’d gained a bunch new fans.

Best Film Experience
As you can note from that last section, movie viewing is rarely ever only just about what you watch, it’s the circumstances of how you watch it, with who, and where.  Those examples above are some of the special screenings I’ve seen this month, and the London Film Festival did give a bunch more.  It amuses me that between the Q&As for A Dark Song and Prevenge, I’ve seen both of the stars of Sightseers (Steve Oram & Alice Lowe) in the flesh for different films within a week.  There was also seeing Christopher Lloyd in person for the Q&A for I am NOT a Serial Killer, and bumping into Edgar Wright & Julian Barrett* after the screening for The Autopsy of Jane Doe. But easily the best experience actually goes to a different film festival, Raindance, for the showing of The Gatehouse.  That was a good screening because not only was I with more than a few friends in the audience, but the writer/director Martin Gooch is a friend of mine too, it was good catching up in the pub afterwards.  It gave the whole thing a wonderful atmosphere, and the fact it was shown in the Vue Regent Street, formally the Apollo where SCI-FI-LONDON used to be held, added to a nostalgia factor.  The fact that the film was superb on top of all that was icing on the cake really.


The “Came Outta Nowhere!” Award
This is a special note for titles that I enjoyed a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, and I’m splitting this into new releases and discovery again.  For a new film, that would be the only big studio release for this Halloween season (since Paramount pushed back Rings to early next year for some reason), Ouija Origin of Evil.  My expectations were low given how bland the first one was, but Mike Flanagan managed to turn the franchise around with a prequel that exceeded the original by a country mile (and when’s the last time that happened?).  Better writing, better characters, better scares, better atmosphere, a success all round!  I might pick it up on disc when it comes out, which given I can’t wait to take the disc of the original to Computer Exchange is saying something.

For the discovery, I must admit I did have more fun with The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb than I was expecting (and from what I gather most Hammer fans ever have), but my award here has to go to Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight.  My interest in this one was already piqued thanks to Jim Sterling’s defence of it (although I must say I didn’t quite share his joy of Silent Hill Revelation), but what a blast this one is.  Billy Zane hamming it to perfection, a truly bonkers backstory and lore, some great monster and gore gags, the odd truly effective chill scene, Dick Miller, it’s a lot of fun.  Although Crypt Keeper, what happened to the film we were promised at the end, Dead Easy?  It can’t have been much worse than Bordello of Blood.  Speaking of…


Worst Film
Hoo boy, this was a hard fought category from the DVD shelves.  Bordello of Blood was a complete mess; misogynistic, idiotic, undid a lot of the good will Demon Knight set up.  The only reasons it’s not got the nod are because the Crypt Keeper bits did raise a smile, and I’d feel bad about slating any film with Aubrey Morris in the cast.  I did toy with Silent Hill Revelation down to how much this mangled the feel of the franchise, plus for any excuse for the #FucKonami tag.  But the absolute loser was a “horror comedy” that was in no way scary, actively deadened all humour in its presence, and just actively pissed me off; Botched.  I have to admit, I mainly got this for Sean Pertwee, and that was a disappointment, as he has a grand total of two scenes, and hampered by an awful Russian accent.  I really should have seen the warning signs; can a film really be said to “star” Stephen Dorff, isn’t it more honest to say “he’s here, he might have a career any day now”?


The “What the Fuck am I Watching?” Award
With all genre fare, a good amount of weirdness is inevitable, but in a way, the two things that would have most likely to make this one I was already a bit spoiled for.  The Carrier is a deliriously odd experience to watch, from the rather odd acting choices to “CATS OR DEATH?”, but the trailers had already prepared me somewhat for it.  Actually, I will note it’s that rarest of thing of a horror movie with a weird trailer, where it does manage to not just live up to, but exceed the trailer.  Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack I was also prepared for since I’ve read the original Junji Ito work, so the plot involving fish on walking machines spreading a killer smell that didn’t take me surprise; sadly, that had none of the style of the manga, so it kind of fell flat.  The winner for this prize in the end though has to go to Hellions; the story itself is fairly standard horror stuff (demonic trick or treaters), but it’s the presentation that’s odd, the whole thing goes in these bizarre, hallucinogenic tangents so often, with no apparent cause, that I was constantly left wondering what the hell was going on.  Unlike say Videodrome where that was part of the story, this was just a mess, which had you wondering if there even was a story by the end.

An honourable mention though must go to the very first film I watched of this year’s challenge, The Initiation.  Not the whole film itself, it’s a fairly boiler plate slasher, with the odd interesting touch.  However, I bring this up for one moment in particular, from the costume party about halfway through.  Behold!

Even now I’ve posted that screenshot, I wonder “did I really just see that, or just imagine it?”

Honourable Mentions
I have to give a special shout out to two more things I watched around this time that I can’t really count for the challenge, but I want to discuss anyway.  Firstly, at the Raindance festival, I got to see something I had been looking forward to for quite a while, but just missed out on being part of the challenge by a matter of hours, Don’t Knock Twice.  This was from Caradog James, who’d also directed The Machine, a movie I adore, and is a wonderfully done tale of family strife and demons.  Wish I could have talked about it for the challenge properly, but still, definitely one for everyone to keep their eyes open for when it’s released.
Secondly, not a movie, but a webseries I’ve been enjoying over this month is Mina Murray’s Journal, a modern take on Dracula which pretty directly updates the diary entry format of the original to the present day.  The brainchild of James Moran (Doctor Who: The Fires of Pompeii, Severance, Tower Block…) this is coming towards the end of its first batch of episodes, and has done a good job of covering the first part of the journey, including the journey to Castle Dracula.  Really likeable stuff, if you haven’t seen it yet, now’s a good time for a catch up, if only to get a glimpse of Renfield’s Tumblr account.


The State of the Genre
I’d like to wrap this all up with some final thoughts on how is the horror at the moment.  To be honest, I’d say it’s in a pretty good place right now, as there have been a string of big successes that have been widely accepted by audiences and critics over the last few years, such as The Babadook, It Follows, and more.  What I saw at the London Film Festival showed that there’s a lot more out there that’s ready to make potentially just as big of a splash.  Hell, one of the films I saw there this year, Raw, won the Sutherland award for First Feature, which means that it’s the second year in a row an unashamed genre work took the prize after The Witch in 2015 (doubly impressive considering the... effects Raw has had on someaudiences).  A whole bunch of new voices are entering the field, and there’s a definite sense of a breath of fresh air coming with them.  On general release too, we’ve been having some fantastic stuff catch on, such as The Girl with All the Gifts in later September, and on that note, it’s cool that there’s a major new influx of British productions leading the way, redefining what British films look like, especially with the like of Under the Shadow, entirely made in Persian.  Even horror sequels recently have been of a higher standard, with Ouija Origin of Evil and Blair Witch standing on their own remarkably well.  So yeah, I’ve got a good feeling about where horror movies are right now, and there’s a lot more interesting stuff on the horizon.  Hopefully I won’t have to wait until next year’s challenge to experience it.

That’s all for my challenge this year.  Remember, if you liked any of what I had to say, or are thinking of checking out some ofthe movies covered, please offer a few pennies to Crisis, that’d be cool of you.  Goodnight Boils and Ghouls!



*Mr. Barrett (Howard Moon from The Mighty Boosh) was around because of his new comedy film Mindhorn, which I also saw at the festival; a tonne of fun that one, do seek that out when it’s released early next year.

No comments: