Monday 31 August 2020

October Horror Movie Challenge 2020 - Fundraising Begins

It's that time again!  Start the jingle!

"Two more months till Halloween!
"Halloween!
"Halloween!
"Two more months till Halloween!
"Silver Shamrock!"

Yep, Linus is already writing his letter to the Great Pumpkin (as I am too!), as another October looms on the horizon, which means it's time for me to prepare for another October Challenge.  The rules are the same as ever; across the 31 days of October, watch at least 31 horror movies, and at least half of those must be ones that I have never seen before.  As you can see, my tower of terror is well stocked; I got to a total of 52 films last year (!  I still don't entirely know how I did that.), I have enough on this stack to go at the very minimum one better this year.
And there are still a few more discs to arrive!

Now then, as always I do this sponsored, as well as for fun, raising money for Crisis.  Last year's fundraiser got to £414 (and a big ol' bundle of gift aid!), and that was partially down to me linking the raising of funds to me watching certain titles, namely infamous video nasty Faces of Death, and the Twilight Saga.  Well I'm going to do that again this year, let's see if we can keep this thing going.  You can donate here, I'm setting my target a little higher at £420 this time, because I always like trying to go one step further than before.  If before October the 24th I get to the halfway mark, £210, I'll be marathoning through another vampires & werewoof filled film series that includes Michael Sheen...

Yep, all five Underworld films, in a row!  We'll see if Kate Beckinsale in fetish gear is enough to carry a whole franchise, I'll be watching them and blogging my thoughts on the whole series.  In fact, if I can get the timing right, I might actually do them all in one sitting as a marathon!  If the total reaches the full target by October 24th though, then it's a real test of my metal.  Two notorious titles, ones where it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that they might be the most controversial horror films ever released...

Oh yes, the two big ones of the Video Nasties age.  Cannibal Holocaust alone is often credited as being the one to get the ball rolling on the whole Nasties debacle in the 80s, still partially cut in the UK to this day.  I have been putting off seeing these for a very long time, so this way, at least some real world good will come from watching them.  BTW, just for these, I've actually bought some Halloween themed cartoons to watch immediately afterwards as a way of getting myself balanced again.
I figured I'd better have some appropriate fundraising music on here too.

So, if you're interested in my thoughts on video nasties and 00s action movies, if you want to potentially hurt me, like my general blithering, or just want to help a good cause, please donate here, and spread the word to those that might be interested.  Also like year, in October I'll be doing Blogtober again, I almost made it to the full 31, with a little bit of forward planning I think I'll make it this time.(Plus I need to be in practice doing daily blogging for From the Big Start!)  To play us out for now, here's the weirdly mellow theme tune to Cannibal Holocaust.  If you want me to tell you how discordant it is with the actual movie, so you don't have to watch it yourself to find out, give what you can!.


No comments: