Oh yes! Cue the music!
It's time once more for that most unnatural thing created in the now ruined depths of IMDb message boards, The October Horror Movie Challenge! As Christianne over at Krell Labs put it, "31 Days, 31 Movies, No Excuses". Well, I managed to rack up 61 movies last year, and I'm telling you right now, I'm not doing that again in a hurry; I like to at least pretend to have a social life. So hopefully this year we're going a bit more quality over quantity.
As ever, this will be a charity affair, raising money for Crisis aiding homelessness, AKT (The Albert Kennedy Trust) for LGBTQ+ youth, and the Palestine Children's Relief Fund for Gaza, helping three causes close to my heart. Last year, counting Gift Aid, we raised over £1200 (!), and I have a few new little strategies that with a bit of luck and the right wind might get us to over that this time around. For example, this year, I'm using business cards with the QR Code on... just making sure I don't use the sort that might upstage certain yuppie's cards.
So what's on the block this year? Well, in UK cinemas there are a few new releases coming out I will be catching such as Other Mommy, Clayface, and re-releases for Hammer's Dracula and Ken Russell's The Devils. I've already booked for some rep screenings; in fact the very first thing I'll be watching will be one of the oddest Kaiju films of the 60s (and consider what a high bar that is!) on the big screen at the Barbican. It will also be London Film Festival time again, so their "Cult" strand should have some goodies in there, titles I might not ever get the chance to see in cinemas again. At home, I'm mostly going to be going through an interesting selection of European horror titles released thanks to those fine folks at Severin Films; I have five boxsets of these (with a sixth on the way) to get through, along with a few more interesting bits and bobs, a selection that should be fascinating, illuminating, and help me to have new perspectives on horror.
And as always you have the chance to ruin that! As with the last few years, if the fundraising gets to certain levels, I have "Booby Prizes" I will have to face. Our first goal is £700, and we hit that, I will be forced to sit through a randomised pick from eight not-terribly-well-thought-of horror remakes from the 2000s, and after that once we get £100 more (so at £800, then £900, then £1000 etc.) I'll have to sit through another one. And to add to the burden, I have to write at least 1000 words on each! So, will I have to sit through and autopsy all eight (technically nine, but I'll explain that if it comes up) by raising £1400? Which ones will the dice I roll force me to endure? Will we go over and I have to improvise some other booby prize Well, throw in a few pennies, and we'll see.
So then, please pledge what you can, share the fundraiser with other people, spread the word, and let's show that fright flicks can do some real good. Plus hey, at least it's not yet another Christmas charity appeal, like you can afford that much then!






No comments:
Post a Comment