Tuesday 31 August 2021

October Horror Movie Challenge 2021 - Fundraising Begins!

 It's that time again.  Take us away Silver Shamrock!

Yep, we're approaching another Hallow'een season, and this will mark my tenth (TENTH!) go-through of the October Horror Movie Challenge.  As always, we have the same rules; across the 31 days of October, I have to watch at least 31 horror/monster movies, and at least half of them (so at least 16) must be films I am seeing for the first time.  Like the previous years, I will be venturing into these strange titles (and I do have some real doozies to get through this time!) raising money for Crisis, as my fear, confusion, and pain should serve a good purpose.  And like the last few years, there is a chance for you to influence my viewing choices, three titles in particular...

The selection, from eBay imports & oddities to random charity shop finds.

This year, I'm reusing the previous year's Justgiving page rather than making a new one, so we have a total of £320 at the time of writing.  I thought it would a) save a bit of time, and b) give a good running total of the good done by this ridiculous ritual of mine.  So, I've set a new target, £750, and like last year, there will be a chance for you all to influence what I end up watching.  Talking of last year though, I can already announce that to start this October, I'll be taking care of some unfinished business...

She's in OK in these, but Kate Beckinsale is even more amazing to follow on Instagram!

Last year I made a pledge to do a marathon of all of the Underworld series, which due to timing I never got around to.  Well, this year I'll clear up that loose end going through all five films in the first weekend of the month, potentially even all on the first Saturday (so that way I can have a day to get my brain back to some sort of normality).  Then it will be random draws for the pile until I hit various targets.  If we get to £450 before October ends (so just £130 than the current total), it will be time for me to cross another of the Video Nasties of the list...

This disc came with a free vomit bag.  Really.

You might recall that I faced Cannibal Holocaust last year, and how I coped with that.  Well, we have here a film that looked at CH trying to be the last word in gutmunching, and took that as a challenge.  However, even this film that's been "banned in 31 countries" (that might be a teeny bit of an exaggeration) might still not be as bad as what I'll face if we get to £600...

I already know that this movie, as well as been extremely graphic, even for Lucio Fulci, also has one of the most ridiculous serial killer gimmicks ever.

Now fun fact, this film by Lucio "Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond" Fulci wasn't on the video nasties lists... but that's mainly because the BBFC took one look at it and went "NO!".  It's actually still cut in the UK, if we hit the target I'll be watching an import copy from Blue Underground (which will be a "fun" way of putting my new 4K tv through its paces).  But if we hit the main target, £750, by the 26th of October by the latest, then I will put myself through something potentially even more of a challenge, and something that ultimately might be a more harmful watch than almost any of the original video nasties, as I face a real horror...

And yes, I got some very odd looks when I took this to the till at the charity shop.  Not sure I can go back there now...

James Corden.  The horror.  The horror.  And what's more, after watching, I'll have to write up a proper 2000 word analysis of the whole thing on here, as I will be doing blog posts of a lot of these.  So, if you'd like to support the homeless, want to show some appreciation to me bringing to light interesting (though not necessarily good) titles, or if you just want to hurt me, please donate what you can.  The best way to follow my progress will be via my Letterboxd page, where I'll be logging all the films I watch, and making a formal list of everything I see, as I have already done with all the challenges I've done before.  Happy spooky season everyone!

No comments: