Tuesday 30 September 2014

"Boys and Girls of Every Age, Wouldn't You Like to See Something Strange?"...

Technically the countdown to Halloween started a few weeks ago, when Starbucks started putting so much pumpkin spice in their drinks, you could fold space.  But with October starting tomorrow, it's time once again for me to try...

This image created by Christianne Benedict  over at Krell Laboratories



Born from somewhere deep in the depths of the IMDb forums, the rules are as above; try to watch at least one horror movie for every day in October, with over half of them, i.e. more than 16, being ones you are seeing for the first time.  There are those that go for 100 movies, but I actually have a day job.  I've done it two years now, it's time for my third, and most ambitious go yet, where potentially I can get through this with only one or two rewatches.  In a surprising move, there are actually a whole bunch of new horror movies out at the cinema this year in time for Halloween.  And none of them are Paranormal Activity sequels.  So I'll be seeing some of those, I'll also be seeing some for reviews at Filmjuice.com, which I contribute to regularly.  The bulk of the films though, is this little lot, none of which I've seen before...

Apologies for webcam quality, my phone's out of battery.
I've been gathering this little lot over the year steadily.  Charity shops, conventions, spare credit at trade in stores, some I've heard about from other bloggers who have done the challenge, all these sources and more provided them.  So I've written their names on bits of paper, put those in my TARDIS lunchbox, and one by one draw out which one to watch next.  This can only end brilliantly.. or terribly, as with a couple of titles in there, there's kind of Russian Roulette element to the draw.

I've also decided that this year, I'm going to do it with a bit more purpose, and make it for charity.  For each film I get through, I'm going to give a bit to the homeless charity Crisis at the end of the month.  I'm not going to go for proper sponsorship, I just ask that you consider doing the same, giving a bit so they can get ready to help during the hard winter months ahead.  Maybe you could do the same, tag people to make a donation and/or see the most horrifying thing they can find.  It can be like the Ice Bucket Challenge, only instead of hypothermia, you're more likely to have a heart attack.  Or need a change of trousers.  So c'mon, this month, donate!

For updates on this, I'll be posting pictures of what I've been watching on my Instagram TheRealEdSigma, with my initial thoughts, and proper reviews on here later when I can write them up, so expect posts about this to spill over until at least Guy Fawkes Night.  You can follow the progress on my Twitter and Tumblr too.  Plus, on my other Tumblr, the Silly Movie Trailer of the Day, I'm going to be having some titles I watched in previous years, along with some other Halloween goodies, and maybe some of this year's titles, depending on how things go.  I'll probably have a few random other articles on here too.  So let's get started tomorrow!  Just one month 'til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween!  Just one month 'til Halloween, Silver Shamrock!

No comments: